Christmas Preorder - Grey Oyster Mushroom Grow Kit
Christmas Preorder - Shipped on the 16th December
Do you know someone who is really into food or 'growing their own'? You've just found the perfect Christmas gift - a grow your own mushrooms kit!
It may sound tricky, but you don't need to be green fingered for this kit: we do the hard part, and you can do the fun part - harvesting the freshest fungi you'll ever eat!
We mix used coffee grounds, straw, wood pellets and mushroom spawn together and incubate them on our farm for two weeks.
The mushroom spawn colonises the mixture, forming mycelium. After two weeks it's ready to fruit mushrooms - all it needs is the trigger of light and fresh air which it receives as soon as you cut open the box.
All you have to do is leave the box in indirect sunlight (these mushrooms won't grow in the dark!) and let the mushrooms do their thing.
This 2.5kg kit should produce around 600g of the freshest mushrooms money can buy over 2-4 crops.
*There are a couple more steps involved: full instructions are at the top of the page including how to get the most out the kit from start to finish*
These kits will be delivered to your chosen address in the week leading up to Christmas, wrapped in brown paper ready to open on the big day. We ship nationwide and delivery costs £5.49. If you are in Leeds and would like to collect directly from the farm, select the collection option at the checkout - we're just off York Road in the Curtis House Business Centre, LS9 9LF. We will arrange collection slots closer to the time.
Why choose a Grey Oyster Mushroom Kit?
Why Choose Grey Oyster Mushrooms?
Unique Flavor Profile: Grey oyster mushrooms boast a distinctive taste that combines earthiness with a hint of sweetness. Their velvety texture and delicate aroma make them a perfect addition to a wide range of culinary creations and make from a meat substitutue
Abundant Nutritional Benefits: Not only do grey oyster mushrooms tantalize your taste buds, but they also offer an array of health benefits. Packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, these mushrooms provide a nourishing boost to your diet. Incorporate them into your meals for a healthy and flavorful twist
Versatility in Cooking: Grey oyster mushrooms are incredibly versatile in the kitchen. They can be sautéed, grilled, roasted, or used raw in salads. Their meaty texture makes them a fantastic vegetarian substitute for meat, adding depth and richness to plant-based dishes.
Fun and Educational: Growing oyster mushrooms is a rewarding and educational experience for individuals of all ages. Witness the fascinating transformation from mycelium to mushrooms, and gain a deeper understanding of the natural processes that drive mushroom cultivation. It's a hands-on activity that connects you with nature and promotes self-sufficiency.
How does the kit work?
- We inoculate straw, woodchip and coffee with grey oyster mushroom spawn
- The mixture is incubated in our farm for two weeks until the mushroom spawn has colonised the mixture
- Cut a hole in the box around the dotted line and then cut a ‘X’ in the plastic bag underneath.
- Place the kit in a room with natural light
- Using a spray bottle, water the kit once per day and wait 7-10 days for the mushrooms to grow
- When the mushroom caps start to flatten, they are ready to pick - visit our Instagram and Facebook pages to see examples
- Pick the mushrooms by twisting or cutting them where the stem meets the block
- To maximise the growth of successive crops, remove the block from the cardboard box, soak in a bucket of water overnight, drain and return to the box.
- Each kit produces approximately 500 – 600g of mushrooms over several crops
Storage and postage
- The grow kits are living organisms and should be opened as soon as possible.
- The kit can be stored for up to 3 weeks if refrigerated / stored in a cool dark place (please see the kit for a used before date on the kit)
- The mushrooms are likely to start growing out of the box after if not opened before the used by date
- We guarantee all kits produce at least 1 crop of mushrooms (usually produce 2-3 harvests)
- Please contact us at if you need any help growing your mushrooms
- All orders are posted every Tuesday. Please let us know via email if you need something shipped ASAP