Grey Oyster Mushroom - Growing Kit
How does the kit work?
- We inoculate straw, woodchip and coffee with grey oyster mushroom spawn
- The mixture is incubated in our farm for two weeks until the mushroom spawn has colonised the mixture
- Cut a hole in the box around the dotted line and then cut a ‘X’ in the plastic bag underneath.
- Place the kit in a room with natural light
- Using a spray bottle, water the kit once per day and wait 7-10 days for the mushrooms to grow
- When the mushroom caps start to flatten, they are ready to pick - visit our Instagram and Facebook pages to see examples
- Pick the mushrooms by twisting or cutting them where the stem meets the block
- To maximise the growth of successive crops, remove the block from the cardboard box, soak in a bucket of water overnight, drain and return to the box.
- Each kit produces approximately 500 – 600g of mushrooms over several crops
Why choose a Grey Oyster Mushroom Kit?
Why Choose Grey Oyster Mushrooms?
Unique Flavor Profile: Grey oyster mushrooms boast a distinctive taste that combines earthiness with a hint of sweetness. Their velvety texture and delicate aroma make them a perfect addition to a wide range of culinary creations and make from a meat substitutue
Abundant Nutritional Benefits: Not only do grey oyster mushrooms tantalize your taste buds, but they also offer an array of health benefits. Packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, these mushrooms provide a nourishing boost to your diet. Incorporate them into your meals for a healthy and flavorful twist
Versatility in Cooking: Grey oyster mushrooms are incredibly versatile in the kitchen. They can be sautéed, grilled, roasted, or used raw in salads. Their meaty texture makes them a fantastic vegetarian substitute for meat, adding depth and richness to plant-based dishes.
Fun and Educational: Growing oyster mushrooms is a rewarding and educational experience for individuals of all ages. Witness the fascinating transformation from mycelium to mushrooms, and gain a deeper understanding of the natural processes that drive mushroom cultivation. It's a hands-on activity that connects you with nature and promotes self-sufficiency.
Storage and postage
- The grow kits are living organisms and should be opened as soon as possible.
- The kit can be stored for up to 3 weeks if refrigerated / stored in a cool dark place (please see the kit for a used before date on the kit)
- The mushrooms are likely to start growing out of the box after if not opened before the used by date
- We guarantee all kits produce at least 1 crop of mushrooms (usually produce 2-3 harvests)
- Please contact us at if you need any help growing your mushrooms
- All orders are posted every Tuesday. Please let us know via email if you need something shipped ASAP
Bought one at Harlow Carr on food day.
Disappointing crop of maybe 7 or 8 medium sized mushrooms followed by a much smaller sized crop on 2nd flush.
Nothing like the pictures but going to have another go 😊
Easy to order delivered on time. My daughter loves foraging for mushrooms this was a brilliant gift and amazing to watch them growing out of the box.
Great business these lads have, saw them on the Hairy Bikers a couple of years ago.
Bought a box at the Ilkley food festival for £20, had a bumper first crop but not much since.
Can't say we've had 20 quids worth of mushrooms, but a bit of fun and hats off to the lads.
Sent a kit to my son on Essex and nothing after 3 weeks, hey ho that's the gamble.
The mushroom kit was a present from family and we opened it on arrival.
Despite following the instructions carefully we have had no mushrooms at all to date. Not impressed!
This is such a good idea for people who love cooking! Would highly recommend!